Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Beach Sweep

The Fripp Island Beach has been swept!!!!!!!!!! No not with a broom......... This morning approximately 20 volunteers armed with rubber gloves and trash bags combed the beach looking for trash and all manner of debris. Personally my group and I (Patty Patek, Theresa Cooper & Steve Chesler) worked from the Beach Club to the south end of Tarpon. Although I didn't find anything spectacular, (a kids flip flop, an old sand bucket and some large pieces of styrofoam were about as exotic as I got), I did help return our beach in the Lowcountry to it's naturally beautiful state.

There were however a few items worth mentioning; a half bra, some birth control devices and best of all, Theresa Cooper found a bottle with a message in it. The message was from a six year old and a four year old who were vacationing on Fripp about 2 weeks ago. The simply sent a message out in hopes that whoever finds it will let them know. So Theresa of course is sending them a note telling them where she found it.

Would it be more fun for the kids if the bottle had turned up in some far off exotic locale? Probably..... However, it's fun for me to know that two kids were outside playing, breathing fresh air and learning about the earth. All three of those activities beat video games in my book every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

No comments: